From the world’s most demanding racetrack directly onto the road, never before has Mercedes-AMG packed so much motorsport technology into a production car than into the new AMG GT R.
“The Mercedes-AMG GT R is a street-legal race car which spearheads the the AMG GT family, featuring many desirable characteristics of the GT3. It has exceptional driving dynamics and boasts benchmark performance statistics including a 0-100km/h acceleration of 3.6 seconds and a top speed of 318km/h. This beast is without a doubt a true testimony to AMG’s racing DNA, the driving performance brand of Mercedes-Benz,” said Mark Raine, Vice President, Sales & Marketing Passenger Cars, Mercedes-Benz Malaysia.
Design – Key highlights
- new AMG Panamericana grille with its 15 chrome-plated vertical fins that resembles the look of the new AMG GT3 racing car
- wide front splitter that reduces lift at the front axle.
- Additional Air Curtains on the outside of the front fascia calm the airflow and improving the Cd value of the AMG GT R. Thanks to their narrow, vertical openings, the Air Curtains also guide the air specifically towards the wheel arches, optimising the flow properties in this area. To ensure ideal airflow through the double wheel arch radiators, the AMG GT R additionally features new and unique wheel arch liners with special cooling-air slits.
- New active aerodynamics profile, which is concealed almost invisibly in the underbody in front of the engine. At a speed of 80 km/h in RACE mode, this carbon component, weighing only about two kilograms, automatically moves downward by about 40 millimetres and changes the airflow considerably. This process results in what is known as the Venturi effect, which draws the car towards the road and reduces the front-axle lift by around 40 kilograms at 250 km/h.
- Active air management system which has vertical louvres positioned in the lower area directly behind the front fascia. These louvres are electronically controlled and can be opened and closed in around a second by an electric motor to improve the airflow and consequently the aerodynamic performance.
- New AMG 10-spoke forged wheels in titanium grey, sized at 10.0 J x 19 ET56 at the front and 12.0 J x 20 ET52 at the rear with factory-fit Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres, of size 275/35 ZR 19 at the front and 325/30 ZR 20 at the rear.
- Exclusive yellow brake callipers for the AMG GT R.
- High-gloss black caps on the housings of the door mirrors.
Performance – Key Features
- AMG 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 engine with an output of 430 kW (585 hp) and a peak torque of 700 Nm is available between 1900 and 5500 rpm. The engine for the AMG GT R is also fitted by hand in the hand-finishing section of AMG’s production plant in Affalterbach based on the “One Man – One Engine” philosophy.
- Seven-speed dual-clutch transmission configured in transaxle layout at the rear axle that has been extensively revised by the AMG developers, who modified the hardware and the software to make the transmission even more suitable for the racetrack. Drivers can tailor the AMG GT R to their personal preferences using the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT controller. Various modes are available: “C” (Comfort), “S” (Sport), “S+” (Sport Plus), “I” (Individual) and “RACE” mode. By pressing the separate “M” button in the centre console, the driver can activate the manual transmission mode in any drive mode.
- High-performance composite brake system ensures excellent deceleration and high fade-resistance with internally ventilated and perforated brake discs of diameter 390 millimetres on the front axle and 360 millimetres on the rear axle. The brake callipers are painted yellow. Available as an option are a ceramic high performance composite brake system, which offers a weight saving of 17 kilograms, a longer service life and even better fade resistance thanks to the ceramic brake discs, with a diameter of 402 millimetres at the front and 360 millimetres at the rear.
- The AMG performance sports exhaust system features two infinitely variable exhaust flaps as standard, which open and close depending on the selected AMG DRIVE SELECT mode, although they can also be controlled individually using a separate button in the AMG DRIVE UNIT. In the “Comfort” and “Sport” settings, the low-frequency sound typical of a V-8 is designed for comfort. In “Sport Plus” and “RACE” modes, meanwhile, the sound composition is far more emotive.
Ride and Handling – Key features
- The new AMG coil-over suspension with the AMG RIDE CONTROL continuously variable, adaptive damping system. The system is electronically controlled and automatically adapts the damping on each wheel to the current handling situation, the speed and the road conditions.
- The driver can adjust the adaptive damping characteristics at the touch of a button in the AMG DRIVE UNIT or by using the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive modes. Three modes are available: “Comfort”, “Sport” and “Sport Plus”. The purpose of each of the three damping characteristics is clear: “Comfort” is the right choice for public roads; “Sport” is perfect for racetracks like the Nordschleife (North Circuit) of the Nurburgring, in other words for highly dynamic driving on partially undulating racetracks with maximum ground contact. “Sport Plus” is ideal for more flat, modern Grand Prix circuits such as Hockenheim and conveys a high degree of structural rigidity.
- Standard-fit active rear-wheel steering, which is being used for the first time on a Mercedes-AMG model. The maximum toe angle change on the rear wheels of the AMG GT R is 1.5 degrees. Up to a speed of 100 km/h, the rear wheels are turned in the opposite direction to the front wheels, corresponding to a virtual shortening of the wheelbase. Once the speed of the AMG GT R exceeds 100 km/h, the system turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the front wheels, corresponding to a virtual lengthening of the wheelbase and improving handling stability. The active rear-wheel steering not only improves cornering, it also assists the driver in the event of sudden evasive manoeuvres and thus enhances active safety
- The standard 3-stage ESP® with the settings “ESP ON”, “ESP SPORT Handling Mode” and “ESP OFF” works in perfect unison with the limited-slip differential and is optimally tuned to the outstanding driving dynamics of the AMG GT R. The programming for the ESP OFF mode is taken from the AMG GT3.
- The new AMG TRACTION CONTROL allows drivers to pre‑select the slip on the driven rear axle in nine levels via a special rotary switch located in the centre console. Just like in the current AMG GT3, it isolates the grip on the driven wheels and does not affect the stabilisation provided by the ESP®. Corresponding characteristic maps are programmed into the vehicle electronics to this end. Level 1 is programmed for driving in the wet with high safety reserves. Level 9 allows maximum slip on the rear axle.
- Variable steering ratio, which enhances vehicle handling and agility at low speeds while maintaining driving safety at high speeds. The power assistance is a particular highlight: It responds not only depending on the given road speed, but also according to the current lateral acceleration and the selected AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive mode. The result: The driver has a perfect feel for the vehicle thanks to the direct feedback from the road.
- AMG Performance seats come as standard while the extremely light, manually adjustable AMG sports bucket seats upholstered in nappa leather and DINAMICA microfiber are available as an exclusive, track-focused option.
- New AMG Interior Night package where the shift paddles, steering wheel bezel, door sills and boot cross member are finished in high-gloss black, which combines with the standard-specification AMG Interior Piano Lacquer package to further emphasise sportiness. As an option, customers can order the trim in matt black carbon fibre.
A rear-wheel drive sportscar that’s able to hit 100km/h from standstill in 3.6 seconds and a top speed of 318km/h for ‘only’ RM1.7mil (estimated OTR without insurance), it’s guaranteed to be a rare sight here in Malaysia. Make sure you order the one in Green to really stand out.