To kick-start the first chapter of 2018, Naza Kia Malaysia has unveiled the All-New Kia Picanto.
Here are some quick facts about it;-
- It’s the third generation of Picanto
- the only new non-national brand in the local A-segment
- designed to look modern, presented with futuristic details and sportier image.
“The Malaysian automotive A-segment market is one of the most fiercely contested segments. With the introduction of the All-New Kia Picanto, we hope to tap on this lucrative market segment and set the tone for our sales this year. We are confident that with this latest addition to the local Kia line-up, we will be able to achieve the Kia Picanto’s sales target of 5,000 units. This model is important as it would account to 50% of Naza Kia’s total sales target for 2018,“ said Dato’ Samson Anand George, Group CEO, Automotive Group, Naza Corporation Holdings Sdn Bhd.
- Only one variant is offered; the 1.2 EX
- redesigned side profile to create a strong yet sophisticated side-line treatment and bolder body lines for a more fun urban drive look.
- open-link style radiator grille that connects both front headlights
- extended wheelbase of 2,400mm (increase of 15mm) with the wheels are pushed further out to the corners of the car for a 25mm shorter front overhang
- new projection bi-functional headlamps that project both high and low beams, with LED indicators and LED daytime running lights.
- The same 1.2 Kappa MPI engine but re-tuned to produce 84 PS @ 6,000 rpm (3 PS less than the previous model) and 122 Nm @ 4,000 rpm (up 2Nm), paired with a Gated type 4AT. No manual option
- The seating height of the first row seats are reduced by 10mm and moved backwards by 5mm to improve headroom by 3mm and legroom by 15mm. The optimised door trim also increases shoulder room by 10mm for the 1st row seats. Additionally, the latest model’s crash pad is now slimmer with its steering wheel moved 10mm upwards to increase knee and foot room.
- large ‘floating’ 7.0-inch touchscreen at the centre of the dashboard houses a navigation system with 3D map which connects to your smartphone; readily integrated using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with voice recognition features.
- better space efficiency with its foldable second row seats (60:40 split), giving up to 1,010 litres of maximised cargo space.
- 44% of the All-New Kia Picanto’s bodyshell is cast in AHSS (up from 22%), reducing body-in-white weight by 23 kg while improving tensile strength by 12%. Overall, static torsional stiffness has been improved by 32%
Carried over are features such as keyless entry, push start button, one touch triple turn signal, auto light control, RPAS (Rear Parking Assist System), electric folding side mirrors and safety power window on the driver’s side. Safety wise, six airbags strategically placed up front and at the sides of all passengers, ISOFIX baby seat mounts, rear seatbelt pretensioners and active safety systems like ABS and ESC.
When I tested the outgoing Picanto 3 years ago, I was very much impressed with its road manners and ease of driving. You can read more about that HERE
The All-New Kia Picanto is offered with the price tag of RM49,888 on-the-road without insurance and is available in five different colours such as Pop Orange, Lime Light, Honey Bee, Clear White and Titanium Silver, and is now on display in authorised Kia showrooms nationwide.
To further add value to Kia vehicles, Naza Kia Malaysia is also reintroducing the ‘NOVUS’ Kia accessory bundle for all new Kia vehicles starting with the All-New Picanto, for the first time ever, in the Malaysian market. There will be two NOVUS Accessories packages available, exclusive for the newest Kia Picanto; the All-New Picanto NOVUS X and the All-New Picanto NOVUS S, priced at RM5,618 (incl. GST) and RM3,498 (incl. GST) respectively. Accessories included in the package are the NOVUS emblem, solar tints, stylish and sporty NOVUS Bodykits, as well as leather seats and a DVR-digital video recorder among others.