407HP, 640Nm of torque.
Take a moment for your brain to process those numbers. Not impressed? Let’s consider performance oriented vehicles such as the Mercedes-Benz AMG GLC 43’s 3.0litre V6 engine that’s able to produce 367hp and a max torque of 520Nm. Or a Porche Macan GT S which offers 360 hp and 500 Nm of torque. Both are potent vehicles on the road.
Yet on paper, both higher cc engines has lower output than the new XC60’s 2.0litre turbocharged & supercharged e-Drive engine found in the XC60 T8 that was unveiled today. The new model will replace the original XC60 which has sold nearly a million units globally and represents 30 per cent of Volvo’s total global sales.
“We have a strong heritage in crafting stylish and dynamic SUVs that feature the latest in technology – the new XC60 will be no exception,” said Lennart Stegland, Managing Director, Volvo Car Malaysia.
Built on the Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) platform, the new XC60 will maintain the beautiful proportions of its larger sibling but with a more expressive design on both the exterior and interior.
“The exterior has an athletic sculpture with a subtle, timeless quality. The interior is a masterful composition of well-resolved architecture and beautiful materials, all perfectly blended together,” added Stegland.
Customers can choose between three XC60 variants; the top-of-the-line T8 Twin Engine Inscription Plus, the T8 Twin Engine Inscription and the T5. T8s, in Volvo’s engine line-up refers to a petrol-electric hybrid.
The most prominent aspect of the new XC60 would be the Thor’s Hammer LED DRLs while the Inscription variants gets the Inscription Grille with chrome frame. In combination, the entire front looks wider and lowered, exuding poise and power.
The side profile of the vehicle is unmistakably an XC60 with strong shoulder lines and a more prominent raised window line on the 3rd window. The dynamic look of the SUV is rounded off at the rear with a sharply angled tailgate. For tires, the T8 variants get 235/55R19 whereas the T5 makes do with 235/60R18
As mentioned earlier, the T8 Twin Engine combines a turbocharged and supercharged petrol engine with an electric motor that independently drives the rear axle to produce an impressive combined output of 407 hp (320 hp internal combustion engine + 87 hp electric motor) and 640 Nm (400 Nm internal combustion engine + 240 Nm electric motor) of torque.
A lower spec T5 variant is also available which does away with the supercharger and is capable of producing a maximum of 254HP and 350Nm of torque.
The T8 is able to hit 0-100km/h in only 5.3 s and has a very efficient 2.1 litre of fuel consumed for every 100 km travelled and a pure electric range of 45 km (NEDC Hybrid Combined Cycle) from a 10.4 kWh hybrid battery which is centrally located in the tunnel of the car.
Inside you’ll find – well, it’s best we let the pictures speak for themselves.
The XC60 T8 Twin Engine will be offered in the Inscription and Inscription Plus trim level, with the latter being equipped with the industry-leading sound system, Premium Sound by Bowers & Wilkins; a 15-speaker sound system that supplies an astonishing 1,100 watts through a 10-channel Class-D amplifier.
There are two interior colors to choose from; charcoal and maroon brown.
Scoring a near perfect score of 98 per cent in the Adult Occupant category and 95 per cent in the Large Off-Road vehicle class, the new XC60 has been awarded Best Overall Performance by the prestigious Euro NCAP 2017.
This score was possible thanks to the new XC60’s ability to benefit and improve on the safety technologies of Volvo’s 90s Range – the first range of cars built on the SPA platform. Volvo calls its safety technologies which includes its driver support and active safety systems, IntelliSafe.
IntelliSafe, which comes standard in the new XC60, will include the usual staple of active, preventive and protective safety systems such as
- City Safety (Autonomous Emergency Braking) – detects and helps avoid collisions with other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, and large animals.
- BLIS (Blind Spot Information System)
- Rear Collision Warning and Mitigation
- Steer Assist – a system that provides automatic steering assistance that will when required avoid potential collisions.
Other safety features include
- Oncoming Lane Mitigation – helps drivers avoid collisions with vehicles in an oncoming lane by alerting, and if necessary, provide automatic steering assistance to guide the car out of the path of the oncoming vehicle
- Volvo’s Pilot Assist – a semi-autonomous driver assistance system which takes care of steering, acceleration and braking on well-marked roads up to 130 km/h, will also be available in the new XC60.
- Indirect Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (iTPMS)
- Park Assist Front & Rear
- Rear Parking Camera
“Volvo has a vision that by the year 2020, no one should be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo car – this recent award underlines our leadership in safety technologies and makes the new XC60 one of the safest cars that we have ever made,” said Stegland.
Let’s start with the T5
- Momentum Grille
- Integrated roof rails with bright finish
- Dual tailpipes with chrome sleeves
- Door handles with illumination & ground lighting
- Color coordinated side mirrors
- Power retractable side mirrors
- Windscreen wipers with integrated washers
- Capless refueling system
- Welcome lights/Approach light
- 18″ 5-Y-Spoke Silver Alloy Wheels with 235/60R18 Tyres
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- LED Illumination Headlights with Automatic Headlight Levelling System
- Rear Fog Lights
- High Position Rear Brake Lights
- Adaptive Brake LightsLED Active High Beam
- T125/80R18 Tempa Spare Wheel
- Iron Ore Decor Inlay
- Frameless Rear-view Mirror
- Front Tread Plates
- Textile Carpets
- High-Level Interior Illumination
- Blond Headliner
- Comfort Seats with Leather Upholstery
- Power Adjustable Driver Seat
- Power Adjustable Front Passenger Seat
- Memory for Driver Seat including Exterior Mirrors
- Power Folding Rear Head
- Mechanical Folding Rear Head Restraints, Outer Rear Seats
- Mechanical release/ fold for Rear Seats
- Keyless Entry & Drive
- Automatically Dimmed Inner & Outer Rear View Mirror
- Illuminated Vanity Mirror, Driver & Front Passenger
- Parking Ticket Holder
- 12V Socket in the Tunnel Console, Rear Seat and Cargo Area
- 2-Zone Electronic climate control (ECC)
- Digital Instrument Cluster with 12.3″ TFT Adaptive Digital Display
- Intelligent Driver Information System (IDIS)
- Trip computer
- Outer Temperature Gauge
- 3-Spoke Leather Steering Wheel with Unideco Inlay
- Standard Pedals with Floor-Mounted Accelerator
- Leather-Wrapped Gear Lever
- Diamond-Cut Engine Start/Stop Knob, Drive Mode Selector & Volume Knob
- Steering Wheel Controls
- Voice Control
- Digital Owner’s Manual
- 60-Litre Fuel Tank
- Sensus Connect with 9″ Portrait Integrated Colour Touchscreen
- High Performance Audio System – 10 Speakers (8 Channel, 224W)
- Bluetooth® Hands-free System with Audio Streaming
- USB & iPod® Connectors
- Apple Carplay & Android Auto with Additional USB Connector
XC60 T8 Inscription
(Specifications same as T5 unless specified otherwise)
- Inscription Grille with Chrome Frame instead of Momentum Grille
- Inscription Exterior Elements with Chrome Details
- Dual Integrated Tailpipes instead of chrome sleeves
- 19″ 10-Spoke Black Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels with 235/55R19 Tyres
- Full LED Illumination Headlights with Active Bending Lights (ABL)
- High-pressure Headlight Cleaners
- Inscription Driftwood Decor Inlay instead of Iron Ore Decor
- Inscription Front & Rear Tread Plates
- Inscription Textile Carpets
- Mechanical Cushion Extension, Driver Seat
- Mechanical Cushion Extension, Front Passenger Seat
- Power Folding Rear Head Restraints, Outer Rear Seats
- Power release / fold for Outer Rear Seats, One Touch Fold instead of mechanical release
- Rain Sensor with Tunnel Detection
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Pilot Assist – Semi-Autonomous Drive
- Parking Climate with Cabin Pre-Conditioning
- Panoramic Sunroof
- Head-Up Display (HUD)
- Navigation Pro with Road Sign Information System (RSI)
- 3-Spoke Sports Leather Steering Wheel with Unideco Inlay instead of plain leather steering wheel
- Orrefors® Crystal Gear Lever with Illumination
- Voice Control with Active Noise Cancellation instead of just Voice Control
- 50-Litre Fuel Tank with 10.4 kWh Lithium-Ion Hybrid Battery
T8 Inscription Plus
(Specifications same as T8 Inscription unless specified otherwise)
- Bowers & Wilkins® Premium Sound Audio System – 15 Speakers (10 Channel,1100W)
The fully-imported, new XC60 T8 Twin Engine Inscription Plus is priced at RM373,888 (on-the-road without insurance, including all applicable taxes) to complement the locally assembled range for the new XC60 that will be introduced at a later date.
Here is a breakdown of the pricing for the locally-assembled XC60 (on-the-road without insurance, including all applicable taxes):
- XC60 T8 Twin Engine Inscription Plus: RM343,888
- XC60 T8 Twin Engine Inscription: RM333,888
- XC60 T5: RM298,888
Customers are free to choose from five exterior colour options which includes Ice White, Bright Silver, Osmium Grey, Onyx Black and Maple Brown. In response to customer demands, Volvo Car Malaysia has also added a second leather upholstery colour for the locally assembled variant – Maroon Brown – which will complement the usual Charcoal.
Full specifications and features of the locally-assembled XC60 variants will be revealed in the months ahead but interested customers may already place their bookings for their preferred variant, starting today, at all authorised Volvo dealers.