BMW Group Malaysia today introduced the All-New BMW 5 Series. Now in its seventh generation, the Most Progressive Sports-Business Sedan promises Sheer Driving Pleasure and will set a new benchmark in the automotive premium segment in the country.
Mr. Han Sang Yun, Managing Director and CEO of BMW Group Malaysia said, “Since its first introduction in 1972, the BMW 5 Series sedan has created a lasting legacy in the automotive premium segment, embodying unrivalled performance, elegance and combining cutting-edge engineering with sophisticated innovation. Now, the new seventh generation All-New BMW 5 Series is destined to continue this remarkable success and ambition of the most successful Premium Business Sedan in the world.”
Han added that the all-new BMW 5 Series is already an award winner, recently taking home the much coveted iF Gold Award 2017, the highest accolade for Design at the recent iF Design Awards 2017. A jury comprising of 58 international design experts emphasised that the premium executive sedan demonstrated clear precision of sporty design, brand related recognisability of both interior and exterior as well as the balance between emotionally and visual presence. The All-New BMW 5 Series is also currently a finalist for the famed World Luxury Car of the Year Award 2017.
With enhanced driving dynamics, an unbeatable line-up of assistance systems, an unmatched degree of connectivity and a new and innovative operating system, the All-New BMW 5 Series is the most innovative premium executive sedan to date and points the way to the future of mobility in the segment.
- kidney grille and headlights are directly linked for the first time ever
- BMW Adaptive full-LED headlights with LED daytime running lights have been enhanced with roundabout light and high beam with a range of 500 meters.
- the crease below the side windows curves upwards into the Hofmeister kink for a more dynamic appearance.
- Side by side, the G30’s bonnet and front looks lower compared to the F10
- Front fog lamps are horizontal instead of circular
- visible air vent control in the kidney grille, air inlets and Air Curtains in the front apron, as well as Air Breathers in the front wings
The M Sport package
- 19-inch M light-alloy wheels in double spoke style with mixed tyres,
- M Sport brake with blue painted callipers with ‘M’ designation
- M Aerodynamics components in the body colour, front and rear aprons and sill covers at the side make for the athletic appearance of the All-New BMW 5 Series.
The new 5-er has grown significantly.
Length: 4,936 mm (+29mm)
Width: 1,868 mm (+8mm)
Height: 1,479 mm (+2mm)
Wheelbase: 2,975mm (+7mm)
The rear; What’s New?
- Lamps are wider and stretched to the sides
- Twin tail pipes
- Two rear tail lamp lines instead of three
Engine type: Inline 4-cylinder 2-litre petrol engineBMW Twin Power Turbo Technology with Twin Scroll turbocharger, High Precision Direct Injection, VALVETRONIC fully variable valve control and a Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing
Maximum power: 252 hp @ 5,200 – 6,500rpm,
Maximum torque: 350 Nm @ 1,450 – 4,800rpm
0 to 100 km/h: 6.2 seconds at a
Top speed: 250 km/h.
Transmission: Eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission
Average fuel consumption: 5.8 litres per 100 km
C02 emissions: 132 grams per kilometre.
Additional features include Driving Experience Control system which now provides access to a fourth mode – ADAPTIVE – in addition to the COMFORT, SPORT and ECO PRO driving modes. The ADAPTIVE mode works alongside Dynamic Damper Control and Navigation System Professional wherein the steering, DDC and Steptronic systems automatically adapts to the current driving style and route ahead.
- Free standing high-resolution 10.25-inch touch screen that is operated using the iDrive controller, by voice command or Gesture Contro, or by touching the display controls directly (F10 is integrated into the dash)
The All-New BMW 5 Series M Sport package is fitted with sports seats for the driver and front passenger, illuminated M door sill finishers, new M specific pedals, and M leather steering wheel.
The BMW Display Key with LCD colour display and touch control panel for example, shows various information about the vehicle’s status and allows selected functions to be controlled via the integrated touch display.
Other pioneering BMW ConnectedDrive features in the All-New BMW 5 Series include Intelligent Emergency Call, BMW Teleservices, Concierge Services and Remote Services.
The vehicle comes with 4-zone control automatic air conditioning and electrically adjustable sport seats with Memory function for the driver as well as heat and sun protection glazing.
- Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function adjusts pre-set speed to the traffic situation based on radar and camera data. Operating speeds: up to 210 km/h, it slows or even stops the vehicle when the car encounters congestion and automatically starts up again as soon as the radar sensors detect that the car in front is moving again. This system now also recognizes roundabouts and motorway exits and controls acceleration accordingly.
- Speed Limit Info with Intelligent Speed Limit Assist which detects speed limits and feed them into the Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function. The driver can adapt the permitted maximum speed in the cruise control system from 15 to +15 km/h.
The G30 comes with 530 litres of boot space.
Among the highlights:-
- Lane Departure Warning and Lane Change Warning
- Approach Control Warning & Person Warning with City Brake function, a function which warns and brakes within a speed range from approximately 10 km/h to 60 km/h for persons and up to 80 km/h for vehicles.
- Crossing-Traffic Warning Rear
- Rear View camera
- Prevention of Rear Collision function also detects threat of rear collisions via rear sensors and warns the traffic behind via the hazard warning lights.
The all-new BMW 5 Series is available for RM398,800 excluding insurance and comes in Black Sapphire, Sophisto Grey Brilliant Effect, Alpine White and Mediterranean Blue. This is matched with interior upholstery in Leather Dakota Black with contrast Blue stitching or Leather Dakota Cognac with contrast stitching (only for the Alpine White, Sophisto Grey Brilliant Effect, and Black Sapphire).
Like all BMWs sold via official channels here, the G30 comes with 5-years unlimited mileage warranty and free service and also a 24 month tyre warranty.
At this point of time, only the 530i M Sport is being offered to the public. No further information is given on other variants such as the diesel or the plug-in hybrid but I won’t be surprised if they’re introduced in the future. Still, for the asking price, this is one good bargain. It’s just a question whether you have a big enough budget to buy the sole variant.