The compact SUV segment in Malaysia just got a little more crowded with the introduction of the Renault Captur, Renault’s first urban crossover. TC Euro Cars, the sole franchise holder for Renault cars in Malaysia, today previewed the sporty and versatile compact crossover that promises to deliver driving fun, enjoyable performance, a comprehensive safety package and remarkable fuel efficiency. Pretty much what the Honda HR-V, Ford Ecosport, Peugeot 2008 and GWM M4 claims to offer too.
Like most compact SUVs, the new Renault Captur promises the high driving position of an SUV, the cabin space and modular interior of an MPV and the agility and driving enjoyment of a compact sedan. Unlike others of the segment, the Captur provides on extra thing; the expressive styling of French flair. Since its debut, the Captur has become one of Renault’s most popular and in-demand models, with over 360,000 units sold globally to date. This increasingly successful compact urban crossover has also been the best-selling model in Europe’s small SUV segment. I’ve recently been to South Korea and it’s quite common on the roads there.
In its proportions and fluid curves, Renault Captur evokes movement and lightness, yet at the same time displaying powerful and muscular all-terrain cues. Angles, corners and lines have given way to sensuous and natural forms with the main sources of inspiration being athletes and radical sports.
The designers wanted to come up with a vehicle based on athletes and sports equipment and in the Captur, they’ve done a fantastic job at conveying an exterior theme that’s muscular, powerful yet sophisticated and elegant. The front windscreens are steeply-raked, creating a very dynamic stance even when stationary and the two-part horizontal rear lights permit a wide tailgate while steering clear of a boxy look. It’s all very round, very organic looking and I know more than a few females who’d drool at this.
Renault Captur also features the brand’s the new frontal identity, which has as its centrepiece a large Renault logo, set vertically against a dark surface so as to stand out as clearly as possible.
“The Captur epitomises Renault’s new human design language, which puts people in the forefront of its concerns. Inspired by three keywords – simple, sensuous and warm – this new design strategy will guide the brand’s future vision and pave the way for a clear and consistent range of models,” said Kuan Kim Luen, Chief Executive Officer, TC Euro Cars Sdn Bhd.
Renault Captur’s smooth, fluid, balanced forms express an assertive yet unpretentious personality. Thanks to its compact footprint of 4.12m x 1.77m x 1.57m (it’s smaller than the HR-V which stands at 4,294mm long, 1,772mm wide and 1,605mm) and large 17-inch wheels, it proclaims its sporty vocation and lust for adventure, while its substantial high driving position raises it to the level of a number of crossovers and 4x4s from the next segment up.
The Captur features the company’s 1.2litre Turbo Control Efficiency or TCe 120 engine – a thoroughly modern powertrain that comes in a small engine displacement with a turbocharger, delivering performance equivalent to a traditional 1.8L engine.
Mated to a 6-speed Efficient Dual Clutch (EDC) transmission, Renault’s new drivetrain delivers maximum power of 120hp at 4900 rpm and peak torque of 190 Nm that is available from as low as 2,000 rpm. Fuel consumption is claimed to be a remarkable (up to) 5.4L/100km, achievable by engaging the Captur’s ECO mode which automatically changes the way the powertrain operates – engine torque is restricted, EDC gear change mapping is altered to change gear at lower engine speed and the climate control programme changes to save energy.
Top speed is rated at 192km/h with 0-100km/h dispatched in 10.9 seconds.
The Captur uses the same platform as the new Clio which should make it more than capable of delivering best-level dynamics, from road holding and agile handling to engine response and smart features.
The interior of Renault Captur is designed to be both welcoming and occupant-friendly. The passenger compartment is restrained and pure, while seat-covers are removable for easy washing. The carbon bucket-style front seats and steering wheel trimmed in grey textured leather reassert the sporty side of the design.
“Compact on the outside, yet spacious and versatile inside, Renault turns the crossover into a car for everyday use. It is particularly suited for today’s modern men and women, whose expectations are varied and demanding such as being parents, spouses and professionals driven by career and life goals. Few individuals have as many lives in one. Yet Renault Captur rises to the challenge thrown at it by these multi-faceted men and women, allowing them to fully ‘Capture Life’, with strong arguments in terms of design, technology and safety,” said Kuan Kim Luen, Chief Executive Officer, TC Euro Cars Sdn Bhd.
Much stylo seat pockets
Boot space is not too shabby. With the rear seats up, you get 377litres of space. When the rear is folded, that space is increased to 455litres.
- Euro NCAP five-star rating.
- Occupant Protection. Renault Captur occupants are protected by four high-efficiency airbags – dual frontal and dual head/thorax side. In order to detect impacts and respond up to twice as quickly, Renault has installed two impact detection sensors on each side, one in the front doors and the other in the B-pillars. A specific algorithm adjusts the way the new-generation head-thorax airbags are deployed to match the severity of the impact
- Pedestrian Protection. The front end of Captur was designed to minimise injury to pedestrians. The bumper has no salient edges, while the lower part of the windscreen, which is traditionally very rigid, was designed to reduce the risk of injury in an impact. Meanwhile, the height of the bonnet was raised in order to incorporate a crumple zone between the structure and the uppermost parts of the engine
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Roll Movement Intervention. This intervenes in extreme situations, if the body roll angle threatens to become excessive. It makes use of the ESC’s control unit to brake individual wheels
- Hill Start Assist prevents the vehicle from rolling back when the driver releases the foot brake by temporarily holding the vehicle stationary
- ABS and Emergency Brake Assist, plus latest-generation ESC traction control complete with seven sensors
- Auto Headlights
- Auto Rain Sensors
- Cruise control & speed limiter
- Electric front and rear windows with driver one-touch control
- Electrical folding and adjustable side mirrors
- MediaNav with 7” touchscreen, AUX, USB, Bluetooth, Navigation
- Reverse camera
- Keyless entry and start
- The removable, multi-position boot floor is also reversible, with carpeting on one side and plastic on the other.
- A large lidded stowage area is set in the top of the dashboard
- The front door bins can accommodate 1.5-litre drinks bottles
- Two handy stowage areas are located underneath the boot mat on either side of the space saver spare tyre
- The rear bench seat slides 160mm of fore/aft travel
- The height-adjustable driver’s seat has 70mm of travel so that drivers of all sizes can find a comfortable driving position
- Motorway mode indicators: a single flick produces three flashes
Ownership and Maintenance
Renault Captur will be available in Malaysia at the estimated price range of RM118,000 – RM123,000 and launch is expected to be in Q4 of this year.
The crossover will be available in four in-vogue two-tone paint jobs:
- Arizona Orange (body) / Diamond Black (roof)
- Pacific Blue (body) / Ivory (roof)
- Beige / Diamond Black (roof)
- Ivory (body) / Diamond Black (roof)
Service intervals for the Captur are 10,000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. The Captur also comes with a five-year unlimited mileage manufacturer’s warranty.
Malaysian drivers who are keen to know more about the Renault Captur are encouraged to register their interest at www.captur.com.my.
If you want to see it in the flesh, do drop by at the following showrooms in August
|6 – 9 August 2015||Renault Petaling JayaJalan Kemajuan, Section 13, Petaling Jaya, SelangorRenault GlenmarieJalan Penguasa A, U1/53A, Glenmarie, Selangor|
Tower 1, PFCC, Jalan Puteri 1/2, Bandar Puteri, Puchong, Selangor
10 – 16 August 2015Renault Setia AlamNo 2, Jalan Seia Prima (S) U13/S, Setia Alam, Seksyen U13,Shah Alam, SelangorRenault Setapak
PV 128, Jalan Genting Kelang, Setapak, Kuala Lumpur
Renault Johor Bahru
Jalan Johor Jaya, Kawasan Perindustrian Plentong, Johor Bahru
17 – 23 August 2015Renault Sri HartamasJalan 22B/70A, Plaza Crystalville II, Desa Sri Hartamas,Kuala LumpurRenault Ipoh
Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah Utara, Taman Ipoh Selatan, Ipoh, Perak
24 – 30 August 2015Renault Petaling JayaJalan Kemajuan, Section 13, Petaling Jaya, SelangorRenault ButterworthJalan Baru, Seberang Prai, Butterworth, Pulau Pinang